Monday, April 22, 2013

Holy Rolling in a Mainline Protestant Church


I have been having a really hard time lately with going to church on Sundays.  

I love aspects of my church, Carla (the rector), other members and the church sanctuary but I miss the praise music of the churches that I attended in my Pentecostal past.  The guitars and drums of a Calvary Chapel or even the modern praise music that the Presbyterian Church I attended screened with an overhead projector onto the wall.  

Don't get me wrong, I do love hymns but I miss “good old raise your hands in the air” praise music and that combined with the repetitive rituals, has made me feel stagnat and just going through the motions.  Carla's sermons are always thought provoking but it is hard to attend every Sunday just for that.    

Yet I managed to drag myself to church this past Sunday as I have done for several Sundays now, reluctantly.  There in my pew, near the back, God reached me.  Carla’s sermon this past Sunday was just what I needed without knowing I even needed it.  She stood in the aisle, not in the pulpit, and talked about the elements of the service.  She explained them in a way that I had never even considered.  I wish I could remember each and every thing she said.  She talked about the rites of the Episcopal Church in a way that made me understand that they were meant to be more than routine rituals that we perform.  They are meant to make us think, reflect, and strengthen our relationship with God.  They are not static but rituals of action.  They require something of us and if we treat them as merely mindless rituals then church can easily become rote and stagnant.  

Just hearing this and understanding that I needed to change the way I was looking at church, opened a door for me.  During a simple song where we repeat a chorus of “Alleluia” after each verse, I found myself raising my hands in praise.  At first I was a bit tentative, my hands were just a little but in the air but as I let myself feel the words both hands were soon raised high.  

It did not feel entirely comfortable.  I felt a little self-conscious.  It may take a little time before I am entirely able to just let go.  

However...

It felt good.  It felt active.  It felt right.   

No comments: